1. South Korean rapper Psy became a worldwide sensation with his dance moves and video for the song “Gangnam Style” (the most-viewed YouTube video of all time). Which famous octogenarian stars in his own video of the song?
A. Billionaire investor Warren Buffett
B. Former Sen. Alan Simpson of Wyoming
C. Actor Clint Eastwood
D. Comedian Mel Brooks
2. Actor Tom Cruise turned 50 in July, and a month later his 5½-year-long marriage to actress Katie Holmes, then 33, ended in divorce. Which of the following celebrity couples also split this year?
A. Danny DeVito and Rhea Perlman
B. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver
C. Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony
D. Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore
3. Who is John Galt and why was he in the news in 2012?
A. He is the male lead in the best-selling erotic novel “50 Shades of Grey” and its two sequels.
B. He is the villain in “The Dark Knight Rises,” the final film in writer/director Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy.
C. He is the protagonist of the 1957 Ayn Rand novel “Atlas Shrugged,” oft-cited by GOP vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan as an influence on his life and political career.
D. He’s a character on “Modern Family,” one of the year’s most popular sitcoms.
4. AARP Fitness Ambassador Martina Navratilova was a contestant on “Dancing With the Stars” last March. Of the following age 50-plus celebrities, who was not a contestant on the show in 2012?
A. Singer Gladys Knight
B. Actor Jack Wagner
C. Actress Kirstie Alley
D. Actress Betty White
5. Daniel Day-Lewis portrays Abraham Lincoln in the acclaimed Stephen Spielberg movie “Lincoln,” which opened in November. Who plays Abe’s wife, Mary Todd Lincoln?
A. Sally Field
B. Mary Tyler Moore
C. Catherine Keener
D. Laura Linney
6. Meryl Streep won the Best Actress Oscar for playing British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher in “The Iron Lady.” Which film won Best Picture in 2012?
A. “The Descendants”
B. “The Artist”
C. “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo”
D. “The Iron Lady”
7. The Rolling Stones marked their 50th anniversary. Which of the band’s current members has already turned 70?
A. Mick Jagger
B. Keith Richards
C. Charlie Watts
D. Ron Wood
8. Name 2012 breakout star Carly Rae Jepsen’s No. 1 Billboard hit.
A. “Call Me”
B. “Call Me Baby”
C. “Call Me Maybe”
D. “Call Me Sometime”
9. Great Britain honored Queen Elizabeth II with great fanfare in 2012. Why?
A. Because she celebrated her 85th birthday.
B. Because she has been on the throne for 60 years.
C. Because she helped bring the Summer Olympics to London, and was escorted to the event by James Bond (aka actor Daniel Craig).
D. Because a new heir is on the way, thanks to her grandson Prince William and his wife, the former Kate Middleton.
10. Speaking of James Bond, the franchise’s 23rd movie, “Skyfall,” opened in November. In how many films has actor Daniel Craig portrayed 007?
11. The boy band of the moment is commonly referred to as “1D.” What does that abbreviation stand for? (If you don’t want to guess, ask your teen or preteen daughter or granddaughter.)
A. One Dimension
B. One Day
C. One Destiny
D. One Direction
12. Hostess Brands, the maker of Twinkies, closed shop. Which of the following snack cake items is still available for consumption?
A. Devil Dogs
B. Sno Balls
C. Little Debbie Cloud Cakes